ASSISANT PARK SUPERVISOR & IRRIGATION SPECIALIST
Essential Job Functions:
Performs a variety of field supervisory and journey level routine technical duties related to the
construction, installation, maintenance, upkeep and repair of city recreation facilities, parks,
beautification areas, grounds, and irrigation systems.
Works under the direct supervision of the Parks Supervisor and the general direction of the Parks
and Recreation Director. May provide general supervision to Parks Maintenance Specialist(s) I,
II, III temporary, seasonal, and part-time laborers while in training or on a project-by- project
1. Responsible for the renovation and installation of irrigation and sprinkler systems.
Assists in the design and planning for new park systems and improvements.
2. Service, maintain and program a variety of irrigation controllers including, but not
limited to, mechanical, solar battery, digital and radio/computer controlled systems.
Tests and maintains all parks sprinkling systems.
3. Winterize all sprinkler irrigation and facility plumbing systems in the fall. Oversees
seasonal duties such as winterizing sprinkler systems to avoid freezing, flushes watering
systems in spring, and repairs other equipment and facilities.
4. Repairs plumbing in restrooms, drinking fountains and leaky valves.
5. Identifies need to initiate various aspects of spraying programs related to the prevention
or eradication of pests, fungus, and insects harmful to park plants, trees, shrubs, and other
environ; selects appropriate chemicals and combinations to accomplish task; maintains
records of spraying activities; assures chemicals are properly stored and used in
conformity with city, state, or federal regulations; operates spraying equipment.
6. Operates lawn mowing equipment; mows and trims grass, bushes and shrubs; assists in
pruning activities on trees, shrubs and plants; removes dead, diseased or injured trees;
stimulates healthy plant growth through custom pruning and cutting.
7. Performs general landscape and gardening duties; plants and transplants trees, shrubs,
bushes, grass, flowers, etc., as directed to develop attractive parks and grounds; performs
various fertilization techniques using dry and liquid chemicals.
8. Operates a variety of types of small and light equipment such as mowers, sod cutters,
chain saws, pruning equipment, backhoe loaders, tre4nchers, aeration tractor, and various
hand tools; performs routing and regular maintenance on equipment to assure efficiency
9. Performs general building maintenance; constructs and maintains bowery’s, small
buildings and storage facilities; assures proper operation of lighting fixtures, doors,
windows and plumbing; may assist in framing, painting, roofing or other skilled
construction and maintenance activities related to carpentry, plumbing and electrical;
performs concrete and masonry work.
10. Assures proper installation and maintenance of playground equipment; conducts safety
audits on playground equipment and apparatus; completes and files audit documentation;
performs needed repair in a timely manner. Playground safety inspector certification is
11. May operate specialized equipment such as dump truck, backhoe, front end loader, snow
blower, field maintenance equipment, etc. May operate snow plows, snow blowers and
hand shovels to facilitate City snow removal.
12. Performs related duties as required.
Essential Job Requirements:
1. Considerable knowledge of irrigation, irrigation controllers, landscaping, winterization,
sprinkler maintenance and design.
2. Considerable knowledge of maintenance equipment such as backhoe, loader, dump truck,
mowers, tractor, power over seeders, aerators, thatchers, welder, trimmers, etc.; flow
pumps; hazards and related safety precautions associated with equipment operations;
herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and pesticides and proper application procedures;
interpersonal communication skills.
2 A. Advanced skill in the operation of various types of light equipment such as gang mower,
front-end loader, tractor, backhoe, etc.; basic mechanics, basic electrical and plumbing
operations, basic carpentry and masonry.
3. Ability to recognize and identify common weeds and pests; recognize and identify
diseases common to turf and greenery; effectively apply chemicals for the abatement and
eradication of noxious weeds and insects; effectively perform various semi-skilled and
skilled functions related to building maintenance; communicate verbally and in writing;
develop effective working relationships with supervisor, subordinates, and the public.
4. Must possess a valid Commercial Drivers License (CDL) or be able to obtain within six
(6) months of hire. Must possess a Utah Pesticide and Herbicide applicator’s license or
be able to obtain within six (6) months of hire. Must have certification in CPR and first
aid or be able to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
Education, Experience, and Training:
Graduation from high school; plus two (2) years academic or specialized training in irrigation
systems and sprinkler maintenance; and two to three (2-3) years of progressively responsible
experience in the maintenance, upkeep, and beautification of turf, parks, facilities, and related
environ or closely related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and
Certified Irrigation Technician
Certified Landscape Irrigation Auditor
Master Gardner Certification
Certified Playground Safety Inspector
Tasks require variety of physical activates, generally involving muscular strain, such as walking,
standing, stooping, sitting, reaching, etc. Talking, hearing and seeing essential to the
performance of the job. Common eye, hand, finger dexterity exist. Mental application utilizes
memory for details, verbal instructions, discriminating thinking. Frequent local travel required
in normal course of job performance.
Applications can be obtained at the North Ogden Human Resources Department, 505 E.
2600 N., North Ogden, Utah 84414, or www.northogdencity.com. Submit the completed
application in person to 505 E. 2600 N., North Ogden, Utah 84414 to Annette Spendlove,
or email email@example.com on or before January 18, by 4pm at the office of the Human
Location/Region: Ogden, UT (US - 84414)